Friday, January 26, 2018

Whereabouts of: The Ultimate Revenge interviewers & Major Mayhem

Look, let's not pretend otherwise--The Ultimate Revenge "Whereabouts of:" posts I'm aching to do are for the most colorful characters from the crowd scene.  If some breakthrough happens, great, but I'm also realistic--how do you verify any information on homeless black dude, tit-flashing two-tone hair glam slut, or "UPSTATE MUTHAFUCKAH!" guy easily?  Their few seconds of VHS fame continue to amuse and entertain, but perhaps they're forever doomed to anonymous obscurity.

Luckily, we can look up some of the credited individuals:

Jim Kozlowski 
"Can we say FUCK?"  "Yes.  It's for the home."
This was the gay-sounding Venom interviewer.  He reminds me of a less creepy American version of Jimmy Savile (I may have to eventually do a post about the Iron Maiden episode of Jim'll Fix It), but I must stress that's only due to the voice and haircut, not any perception of kiddy-diddling.

But exactly who was he?  Here's a short Important Records bio:

Here's the full Important "Who's Who" section, with early info on Combat (and Relativity):
Taken from the March 1984 New on the Charts
(note that Barry Kobrin and Howie Gabriel both have Ultimate Revenge production credits)

Jim was a former DJ and music journalist, but it's unclear how much non-business interest, if any, he had in heavy metal, or how much influence he had in role of A&R consultant, particularly since Combat's roster shifted to drastically heavier material by '85.  I found a few articles and liner notes he had authored, but nothing heavy metal-related other than the bio above and the Venom interview.  Information online is mostly limited to how he inspired the use of The Silver Surfer on the cover of Joe Satriani's Surfing with the Alien album.  I could find no concrete info about him since the '80s.

Update: Hate to be the harbinger of bad news, but a Relativity Records employee has confirmed Jim passed away in 2021.

Gene Sobczak
Can't tell if he is trying not to crack up at Slayer's drunk antics or hiding mild discomfort.
Yep, the Slayer interviewer with the leathervest.  I remember looking him up randomly years ago, and the infamous Slayer interview was actually mentioned among his journalistic exploits on some sort of now-defunct bio or resume page.  Although originally from New Jersey, he moved to Colorado--sadly, I doubt it had anything to do with being closer to Jag Panzer.

Update: I've edited the post a bit--previously, the only metal-related info I had on him was a Facebook post he wrote about Fast Eddie Clarke's passing and how he liked Motörhead in his youth. Social media reveals that he still goes to Anvil concerts and has been known to occasionally sport a Slayer eagle logo tee, so he's a good egg in my book. Thanks for defending the faith!


Paul Aaronson (the voice of "Major Mayhem")

This one was personally disappointing to me.  I've watched The Ultimate Revenge so much that I have the Combat promo spiel memorized; I do the voice and go for the right phrasing and cadence and everything.  Sometimes in public.  It's just a fantastic over the top showcase for some mighty fine albums.  
  
As it turns out, Paul Aaronson was just the sales manager at Important/Relativity.  Deep down, that's even what I expected; it's the most logical cost cutting measure--who better budgetwise to do it than an employee?--but it's still anticlimactic to find out it wasn't a metal superfan or a kooky DJ/voice-over guy or some Zazula-type character. 

Apparently he now owns Solid Sender Records, which seems to be a brick-and-mortar place ( doesn't seem to specialize in metal, unfortunately), although all the info I could find online was about him as a dealer at NY area record fairs.  I fantasized for a couple seconds about going to one, finding him, and shouting quotes at him in the voice ("OH MY GOD, SO HIDEOUS, EVEN I DON'T GET TOO NEAR THEM!") until realizing I'd probably be forcibly ejected from the hotel conference room or VFW Hall or wherever.  The walk of shame past gawking vendors and their milk crates full of overpriced LPs doesn't bother me so much--I'd throw out one last "RIDE WITH THESE GUYS, AND THE DEVIL IS YOUR CO-PILOT!" for good measure--as losing an admission fee better spent on bargain bin death metal.  Oh yeah, Paul apparently met Quorthon during his promotional visit to NYC for the first Bathory album.  Quite enviable.

If anyone has any additional metal-related info about the guys above or knows the identity of the fellow pictured below, drop me a line!

No comments:

Post a Comment